Thursday 16 January 2014

Spiritual Plus Secular

Tonight I was thinking about symbols of reassurance in rock music. Artists I really like have used religious concepts in a more general context to make powerful songs about comfort in the face of adversity. I can relate to the emotion, the imagery and the tone of these pieces. This may be part 1 of a few posts.

Here are some tracks that come to mind from my collection.

It Ain't Easy - Bowie cover. 1971.
Bowie comes to mind first for me. Slow, reminiscent of blues or spiritual songs with a dose of sultry.
"It ain't easy to get to heaven when you're going down."

Everlasting Light - The Black Keys. 2010.
There's a definite retro feel to the whole album. This is the traditional language the faithful use to speak about God. It could be taken literally. The speaker could also be interpreted as another person, one who is loyal and supportive. The everlasting light could be seen more broadly as any aspect of a person's life that imparts security and hope.

Come On Up to the House - Tom Waits. 1999.
Waits makes frequent use of images with religious connotations. I find he often reframes them, but lets them keep some of their purity. This is the last song on the album, which seems absolutely deliberate. I feel it's about the end of life, finding belonging, rest and peace.

1 comment: